Thanks to Phil Ritchie for alerting me to this meme. It works like this:
1) Turn on your MP3 player or music player on your computer.
2) Go to SHUFFLE songs mode.
3) Write down the first 15 songs that come up–song title and artist–NO editing/cheating, please.
(Image courtesy Filomena Scalise)
So I did this with my iTunes library and these are the results:
1) Elgar Cello Concerto (2nd movement)
2) The Great Silkie by Trees (an electric folk band I listened to in the 70s)
3) Make Love by Angie Stone feat. Musiz
4) Winter from The Seasons by Haydn
5) Dirty Mind by Jeff Beck feat. Imogen Heap
6) Mahler Symphony No. 5
7) Free Loop by Daniel Powter
8) Autumn from Haydn’s The Seasons
9) I’ve Got to See You Again, Norah Jones
10) Gorecki, Three Pieces in Old Style (III)
11) Gorecki, Symphony of Sorrowful Songs (1st movement)
12) Office de l’Exaltation de la Sainte Croix sung by the Benedictine monks of St. Wandville de Fontenell
13) Groove Armada, If Everybody Looked the Same
14) Getting Scared, Imogen Heap
15) Flicks, Frou Frou
Just one edit/cheat on the list – No. 8 first came up with a 4-year-old sermon from a Canadian church (The Meeting House in Oakville, ON), but hey! this is supposed to be a MUSIC meme, right? (And should it be a coincidence that WordPress interpreted this number as a smiley?)
Well there’s a fair bit of classical music on the list, with Haydn and Gorecki both represented twice, Elgar and Mahler, and even some slavonic liturgy.
Imogen Heap and Frou Frou appear courtesy of recommendations from my two sons. I have to take full responsibility for the rest.
Finally, the meme works by “tagging” someone else to pass it on. Anyone reading this who hasn’t already been tagged should consider themselves to have been tagged now.